Do you need the Popular crossbow reviews to guide you this hunting season?
Is the hunting season approaching and you are looking for the well-liked crossbow that will help get the best out of the years hunting season?
Then you are in the right place!
You need the favorite tactical crossbow to get you through a successful hunting season. Not just any crossbow, as you cannot risk losing a nice catch.
So whether you are looking for the Great crossbow under $500 or the superior crossbow under $400 you will be able to find one that will suit your requirement.
Why you should invest in a good crossbow
Hunting season only comes once in a year and is repeated for many years to come. You need a good crossbow to take you through several seasons with great game.
Investing in the right crossbow means that you don’t have to buy a new crossbow for every hunting season.
What is the excellent crossbow to look out for in 2020?
Now, let’s delve in and take a look at a dozen of the fine crossbows available on the market. They have been selected based on the features as well as advantages they come with.
|Crossbow Name||Bow Weight||Velocity||Draw Weight|
|Barnett Whitetail Pro|
|7.9 pounds||410 FPS||185 pounds||Check Price
|Barnett 78128||7.1 pounds||365 FPS||185 pounds||Check Price
|Excalibur Matrix Grizzly||6 pounds||304 FPS||200 pounds||Check Price
|Barnett Recruit Tactical||7.5 pounds||330 FPS||160 pounds||Check Price
|Barnett Recruit Terrain||7.7 pounds||315 FPS||150 pounds||Check Price
|Jaguar CR-013 Series||4.8 pounds||235 FPS||175 pounds||Check Price
|CenterPoint Sniper 370||8.5 pounds||320 FPS||150 pounds||Check Price
|CenterPoint Tormentor||9 pounds||345 FPS||150 pounds||Check Price
|Wicked Ridge by Ten Point Invader||6.6 pounds||330 FPS||165 pounds||Check Price
|Excalibur Matrix 355 Crossbow||5.9 pounds||380 FPS||260 pounds||Check Price
So, before you spend any penny on a crossbow take some time out to read this review.
- 400 Feet Per Second Crossbow in Tru Bark Camo. Package includes...
- Draw Weight: 187 lbs. Kinetic Energy: 140 Ft. lbs. Power Stroke...
- Pattented Step-Through Riser. String Dampeners for stealth like...
- Ships to you mostly assembled. Allows for Intergration of Barnett...
- Safety First: Equipped with Nock Sensor and Anti Dry Fire Trigger...
If you are looking for a fast, lightweight, and powerful crossbow that also comes with a compact design, Barnett may have exactly what you need. The Whitetail Pro comes with all of the great advances as the popular 410 model, only in a smaller updated frame. Designed by the skilled engineers at Barnett, the Whitetail Pro will give you the speed and power you need to make accurate kill shots in a small, easy to handle package.
In products like the Whitetail Pro , the result is nearly flawless–it’s currently one of the fastest crossbows on the market with arrow speeds upwards of 420 feet per second (hence the model number).
At just 7.3-pounds mass weight and under 20-inches from axle to axle, the 420 has all the power and features of the Whitetail Pro in a much lighter, faster, and more compact package.
The Barnett Whitetail Pro is the wonderful Crossbow for Deer Hunting.
This is one of the easiest compound bows to assemble since the cocking stirrup is built-into the riser. It features include:
- Three 22’’ Easton arrows – The 22″ Easton arrows included with the package will take a beating, despite the 420 FPS shooting speed and power this crossbow delivers. If you want to buy extra arrows, make sure they are 22″ long and preferably from carbon, as you’ll need the extra durability given the kinetic energy your arrows will carry.
- Quick-detach quiver – Due to the number of arrows, the Barnett has a detachable quiver for the arrows, making it flexible for usage.
- Padded crossbow sling – The moment you cock the weapon, safety will engage automatically and the crossbow can’t be fired until an arrow is properly seated in the padded crossbow sling.
- Rope cocking device – A rope cocking aid is included with the package. The cool thing about this model is that you can shorten and lengthen the string to suit your particular needs / arm length, so that it can be used by pretty much any adult regardless of their height.
Rope aids typically cut down the amount of effort required to cock a crossbow by about half, so rather than drawing the full 185 lbs. of weight, you’d be drawing roughly 90 lbs. instead.
- Extra recoil pad – It also has an extra recoil pad that you can as a replacement when the one in use is bad.
- 3×32 four-reticle illuminated (red/green/black) crossbow scope – The accuracy of the Ghost 420 is superb – in large due to the nature of the scope. The field of view is really wide without any excess “fogginess” around the edges, and the illumination of the four reticles is bright enough that you can hunt in close to complete darkness.
The scope also comes with a lifetime warranty and is shock, water and fog resistant. Not to mention it gathers light really well, delivering a super-sharp image of the target.
- Carbonlite Riser Technology – The Ghost is very comfortable to handle and easy to aim, as the weight of the crossbow is shifted closer to your body, giving you much more leverage for easy handling of the weapon. Additionally, this reduces the overall weight of the x-bow, making it easier to carry around.
- Talon sling – Fortunately the Ghost 420 package comes with a Talon sling, but even without it most shooters will be comfortable with an eye down the sight while walking, scanning sectors, and zeroing in on target for extended lengths.
Other features include: Light weight and short axle-to-axle length and Foot stirrup is part of the riser.
- 350 feet per second. Draw weight: 150 pounds; Kinetic energy: 103 feet...
- Overall weight 6.4 pounds| axle to axle 16.125" | dimensions 34.25"L x...
- Made in the USA and ships mostly assembled; 12.5 Power Stroke (in)
- Trigger tech technology with 3 pounds zero-creep release. All...
- Includes: 4x32 scope, rope cocking device, light weight quiver, two 20...
For more than 50 years Barnett has been manufacturing high performance crossbows for its customers. Dedicated to designing a crossbow that is efficient, fast, powerful, and easy to use, the company may have accomplished this with its Whitetail Hunter II. It comes with the sturdy, well balanced build you would expect from a top rated company, with a sleek design that is fun and easy to use. If you are looking for an affordable, durable and fully functional crossbow, this model might be exactly what you are looking for.
This Barnett crossbow delivers a fast and powerful performance. It is capable of a maximum velocity of 365 feet per second with an impressive draw weight of 185 pounds. It features a sturdy and well balanced build that is comfortable for most archers to shoot, along with a sleek and stylish design.
Features of the Barnett Whitetail Hunter II
- 3 x 32mm multi-reticle scope – This scope is quite nice, and was almost sighted in out of the box. You might have to dial in the windage on two shots to adjust for left drift, but after that it should have zeroed and the scope should stay zeroed throughout the season. The optics on this scope are quite robust, with excellent eye relief and just enough illumination for low-light foggy mornings.
- Rope cocking device – With its 185# draw weight, this is certainly not a trivial crossbow to cock. However, using the included rope-cocking device, the job is much easier to handle. The string draws back smoothly and locks into position reliably, and the safety never failed to engage when I cocked the crossbow.
- Hand-crank cocking device – To make the job even easier, Barnett offers a hand-crank cocking device as an optional accessory. If you find the rope-cocking the crossbow is still too much for you, the hand-crank cocking device can be easily added onto your crossbow. This is especially nice for crossbow hunters who might suffer from shoulder or back problems, since it takes all of the effort out of cocking the crossbow.
- Three 20” arrows – The arrows are of very good quality and there are enough to go round.
- Carbon Riser Technology – Barnett’s Carbon Riser Technology removes 43% of the riser weight, shifting most of the crossbow’s weight to the shoulder for more stability and a steadier shot. The safety and anti-dry fire all work reliably, and the crossbow is very well made with a CNC aluminum flight track and CNC machined 7/8” Pica tinny rail.
- The finger reminders and pass-through fore grip – The finger reminders and pass-through fore grip work nicely to keep your hand out of the way of the string. Barnett doesn’t advertise the trigger pull, and I didn’t weight it, but it feels like about 3.5 pounds of trigger pull. It’s a very smooth, even pull with excellent breaking.
- Excalibur crossbow
- Crossbow kit
- Matrix grizzly 6850 country w/dead zone
- Draw Weight (LB) 200, Mass Weight (LB) 5.5, Arrow Weight min 350gr
Excalibur has long been known as a company that makes high-quality crossbows, and the Matrix Grizzly now allows for those who want the performance of the Matrix line without the high price tag. The Grizzly is the most affordable crossbow.
The Excalibur Matrix Grizzly is a crossbow that was specifically brought into the Matrix lineup to allow a shooter the opportunity to use a Matrix, but without the normally high Matrix price tag. It is a no frills crossbow that will still get the job done. One of the qualified things about the Grizzly is that it allows the shooter to get a good crossbow platform and add extras as they are able.
Features of the Excalibur Matrix Grizzly SMF
- Dead zone scope – The included Dead zone scope is certainly a good scope that will allow you to shoot in most situations. It is a nice feature that it has a speed dial, although the adjustment up to 400 fps isn’t going to do you much good on the Grizzly. Depending on your shooting skills and needs, Excalibur has some truly excellent crossbow scopes in their lineup and you might be wise to check one out as an upgrade.
- A 4-arrow detachable quiver – Due to the number of arrows, the Barnett jackal crossbow has detachable quiver for the arrows, making it flexible for usage.
- Four Diablo 18’’ arrows – The Diablo arrows included with the Matrix Grizzly are up to the job for most hunting situations. Given the compact design of the Grizzly, should you decide to go with an aftermarket arrow, you really want to stay in the 18” range as a 20” arrow is going to way too far out.
- Four 150 grain field points – Keep in mind that Excalibur recommends a 150-grain tip, so the shorter the arrow, the easier it is going to be to get to that magic 350-grain total weight to break the 300 fps barrier.
- A rope cocking aid – The Matrix Grizzly was surprisingly easy to cock given the 200-lb. draw weight. This has a lot to do with both the shorter power stroke as well as a shorter overall length. We found that, since you don’t have to lift as high, cocking actually seems easier than a crossbow with a lighter draw but longer stroke. Using a rope cocker is pretty much a given, though.
- Triggertech trigger
- Comes mostly assembled
- ADF (anti dry Fire) trigger System
- Lightweight composite Stock
- Allows for the integration of a crank cocking device
If you are looking for a well-designed crossbow that is capable of providing you with a smooth performance, you might want to look at the Recruit Tactical. Manufactured by Barnett, one of the leading manufacturers of crossbows the Recruit Tactical is lightweight, efficient, and able to provide you with the power and speed you need to have a successful hunting trip.
The Barnett Package features the most technically advanced riser ever created for a crossbow. It removes nearly 43% of weight from the front end which dramatically shifts the balance point to the shoulder. This allows for the steadiest and most accurate shot possible.
The Barnett Recruit Tactical crossbow shoots arrows up to 360 fps, with almost 115 ft. lbs. of kinetic energy. This will blast your arrows vane-deep into most target blocks, and will usually knock the target block over in the process. Other features include:
- A 3×32 illuminated scope – The lighted scope that is easy to adjust up to 40 yards. While the scope makes it easier to get an accurate read on a target
- Assembly hardware and tools – To help you waste as little time as possible this crossbow includes everything you need to start hunting almost immediately. The included instructions will walk you through the simple assembly steps that can be easily completed without any professional help. The crossbow package also includes all of the accessories you need for a successful hunting trip, including three 20 inch arrows that are sturdy enough to penetrate most targets without breaking.
- 3-arrow quiver – The convenient quiver will keep your arrows close at hand.
- 3 20” Headhunter arrows – The Barnett Ghost 360 will propel an arrow at 360 fps, which is 20 fps faster than the average compound crossbow. With the ability to produce 115.00 foot-pounds of kinetic energy, the Ghost 360 is significantly more powerful than other compound crossbows
- Rope cocking device – Having a rope cocking device will also save you the hassle of keeping an arrow with you to de-cock your crossbow.
- 330 feet per second. Draw weight: 140 lbs Kinetic energy: 91.9 ft lbs
- Overall weight 6.4 lbs | axle to axle 16.125" | dimensions 34.25"L x...
- Ships mostly assembled. Anti-Vibration Foot Stirrup
- Trigger Tech Technology with 3lb zero-creep release. All stainless...
- Includes: 4x32 scope, rope cocking device, light weight quiver, two 20...
This is the finest low budget compound crossbow you can buy. It also happens to be the model that we would recommend to absolutely any beginner, regardless of whether they want to hunt or shoot just for fun. You should not take this to mean that this is a crossbow for beginners only, however; it’s just as good a choice for intermediate and advanced crossbow-shooters, basically for everyone looking for great power, accuracy, and safety, at an affordable price.
Enhance your hunting skills with the Barnett Recruit Terrain Package, Camo that has a unique, innovative stock design. Its sleek military style stock is lightweight and compact. With its divided fore grip, the bow can be comfortably held. This lightweight crossbow features Barnett’s ADF MIM trigger providing for a smooth 3.5-lb trigger pull and the added benefits of a pica tinny rail. It uses the quad limb assembling mechanism for quick and easy assembly.
- The Recruit Terrain compound crossbow (stock + bow) – This size of the Barnett jackal crossbow makes it to be extremely powerful. The stock on the Barnett Recruit Terrain; it holds EXACTLY like a regular military rifle. The grooves in the grip make it exceptionally comfortable to hold, kind of like those old gaming joysticks on gaming consoles.
- Three 20″ arrows with attachable field points – As for the arrows, they are very durable. They can take a beating and will last you a long time, unless you are constantly shooting from short ranges such as 10 yards or less.
- Red-dot sight – The name “red” in this case is a little misleading, as you can choose between both red and green, and pick from among five different brightness settings, depending on your preference. The sight is fairly accurate out of the box, and you’ll need minimal effort to zero it – 5 to 10 arrows shot is all it will take.
- Detachable quiver for your arrows – Due to the number of arrows, the Barnett Recruit Terrain has detachable quiver for the arrows, making it flexible for usage.
- Quiver attachment platform – The quiver also has an attachment platform, which is durable and easy to fix along with all the hex keys, bolts and screws required for assembly. The instruction & Safety manual aa well as a Warranty card (5-year and limited) is also included.
Other feature: It has a Military-style cock; very comfortable and looks plain cool.
- Hunting crossbow designed with accuracy, safety, and durability in...
- 175-pound draw; fires crossbow arrows at speeds of 245 FPS (feet per...
- Slotted cast-magnesium barrel for accurate bolt flight tracking
- Weaver-style rail includes a single dot 30mm red dot scope with...
- Includes six-bolt detachable quiver, four 16-inch aluminum crossbow...
The Jaguar CR-013 Series is an exceptional package for the seasoned marksman. Packed with state-of-the-art crossbow functionality, the Crossbow Kit is lightweight, compact, and, drawing at speeds up to 235 feet per second, extraordinarily powerful.
First-time crossbow hunters will appreciate the lightweight, compact package and its many bells and whistles. Suitable for right- and left-handed arrow splitters, the Jaguar CR-013 Series Crossbow Kit contains an ambidextrous auto safety and all assembly tools needed to convert to an ambidextrous rear stock. Enjoy impeccable quality, value and performance.
- Four 16-inch fiberglass bolts – Fiber glass insulation is generally inexpensive insulation to buy and easiest to install-so it is no wonder it is the most common insulation.
- Three red dot sight – The process of sighting a crossbow is very easy, though if you’re a beginner who’s never done it before you might assume otherwise. The exact procedure for sighting a crossbow will vary slightly from scope to scope, as different models can have somewhat different adjustment knobs.
- Arrow rest – The premise behind an arrow rest is to stabilize the arrow until it is released from the string. The fletching or feathers on your arrow shaft must clear the riser of your bow to avoid making the arrow wobble or twist in its flight to the target.
- Rope cocking device – Having a rope cocking device will also save you the hassle of keeping an arrow with you to de-cock your crossbow.
- Foot brace – Having a rope cocking device will also save you the hassle of keeping an arrow with you to de-cock your crossbow.
- Basic arm guide – The basic arms guide is effective in using this device, as it makes it to be used for hours without shoulder or hand pain.
Additional features include ambidextrous stock and safety, which makes the bow excellent for new users, right or left handed shooters. This feature also prevents potential injury since awkward movement is prevented.
Another is the anti-dry fire capability. This protects the weapon from damage caused by dry fires, making the crossbow highly durable. It also has adjustable scope mounts so you can freely upgrade the scope you want to use.
The CenterPoint Sniper 370 will propel an arrow at 320 fps, which is 20 fps slower than the average compound crossbow. With the ability to produce 91.00 foot-pounds of kinetic energy, the CenterPoint Sniper 370 is slightly less powerful than other compound crossbows. This crossbow has a draw weight of 150 pounds, meaning that it requires that much force to load. By comparison, the average compound crossbow has a draw
Bestselling crossbows CenterPoint has ever produced. It is made in USA and it comes with quick detachable quiver, three-20 inch arrow and red dot light. While this crossbow was designed “by hunters, for hunters,” it’s perfectly suitable for target practice as well. The power output is excellent and each of the separate components are perfectly dependable, making the CenterPoint Sniper 370 very low-maintenance and fun to shoot.
- Lightweight composite GAM stock – The lightweight composite GAM stock provides a means for the shooter to firmly support the device and easily aim it. The stock also transmits recoil into the shooter’s body.
- Thumbhole grip – Thumbhole grips are extremely versatile, and have fast handling. They are used in the conventional manner or for that steady, more comfortable thumbhole position for the shot that counts.
- Vented quad limbs – The crossbow has vented quad limb types, which is quite new and peculiar to this product.
- High energy velocity-speed wheels – Hunters seek out the fastest and most accurate hunting gear they can find and Barnett Crossbows are fast and accurate, so their slogan of “built for the hunt” says a lot about them and the arrow speed is about 350 fps.
- Crosswire string and cable system – The crossbow strings are suited for delivering power and accuracy.
CenterPoint Sniper 370 is Manufactured in the USA by a very well-established company (over 51 years of experience making crossbows) and They offer great value for the money paid.
- Whisper silencing System
- Narrow 14 inch Cocked axle to axle width
- Compact design. Compression fiberglass quad limbs
- Kinetic energy: 120 ft. lbs
The CenterPoint Tormentor Whisper 380 takes a stronger design, is much lighter and faster as well. As a matter of fact, this crossbow is one of the fastest crossbows in the market and can fire bolts at an amazing speed of 345 feet per second. Barnett’s goal is to provide top of the line crossbows to help enhance a hunter’s performance.
The CenterPoint Tormentor Whisper 380 has a few improvements in features mainly being the first of its kind with a gas assist composite stock with high density. It shoots arrows at an average speed of 345 FPS with a draw weight of 150 pounds at 112-foot pounds of energy. It also features a 15.5″ power stroke.
The Quad 400 crossbow boasts of well thought-out features which places it at top place when compared to other crossbows in its class. These include:
- Quad limb compound – The Quad 400 attributes its incredible speed and power to the groundbreaking parallel quad limb design which enables it to apply as much power as possible to the bolt. In addition, this unit comes with a long 15.5-inch power stroke which can produce intense velocity.
- Quick Detach quiver – The Barnett quad 400 crossbow comes with a detachable lightweight quiver that hooks below the limbs allowing for a relatively quick reload. The quiver can hold up to a maximum of four bolts and arrows. It’s also loaded with 3 fiberglass twenty-two inch bolts which allow you to sight the bow for a feel of how the crossbow performs.
- Fast assembly – You don’t need to have prior experience to assemble the Quad 400. Its assembly is very basic, aided by a user guide. In fact, assembling this crossbow boils down to inserting a few screws, tightening them to attach the pieces together and you’re good to go.
- A 4 x 32 Millimeter Recital Scope – The Quad 400 has an accurate dot sight that allows the user to choose between a green or red reticle. The dot sight also comes with a setting that allows you to pre-determine the brightness for both colors.
- Thumbhole Grip – This is a feature that has worked well with many users. The fact that you can hold the crossbow firmly seems to contribute to the unit’s accuracy.
- High Density Gas Assistant Cock – Ingeniously hidden by the contoured cheek piece, the cocking attachment gives you a place to attach the cocking device of your choice which is incredible bearing in mind that this crossbow is relatively hard to cock without an assistant device.
- Cocking Attachment – Ingeniously hidden by the contoured cheek piece, the cocking attachment gives you a place to attach the cocking device of your choice which is incredible bearing in mind that this crossbow is relatively hard to cock without an assistant device.
- BEST OF THE BEST: Invader G3 is the safest, lightest, narrowest, and...
- COMPLETE PACKAGE from Ten Point's Wicked Ridge pairs their...
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: Wicked Ridge G3 Crossbow, TenPoint 3X Multi-Line...
- ALL THE SPECS: LENGTH (with stirrup)-37.75 inches; AXLE-TO-AXLE WIDTH...
- ACUdraw COCKING MECHANISM: Integrated self-retracting rope cocking...
Winner of the Best Value Award from “Petersen’s Hunting”. The Wicked Ridge Invader G3 crossbow comes with a durable build and high performance design. It is also priced to fit most budgets, which is surprising considering how well it performs.
Easy to draw and quiet, this crossbow can help you take down a buck or hit every target on the practice field.
Weighing only 6.6 pounds, the redesigned Invader G3 crossbow is sturdy, lightweight, and easy to handle. Whether you are sighting in on a deer or lining up with a box target this bow will help ensure your shot isn’t wasted.
Safety is always important when you are handling crossbows, and the Wicked Ridge Invader G3 is designed with this in mind. The partially skeletal stock not only looks impressive, it also works to improve safety and function.
It is designed to keep your hand safely below the string while also minimizing any additional weight on the stock.
There is very little not to like about the performance capabilities of this crossbow. Capable of speeds up to 330 feet per second, the combination of the limbs, riser and energy wheel will give you a reliable and smooth performance.
- 19-Inch Axel – The 19-inch axel is comfortable for most archers and the 165 pound draw weight pulls smoothly and easily. With its smooth and powerful performance capabilities it’s hard to believe that this crossbow also comes at an affordable price.
- ACU-52 self-retracting cocking system – We found cocking the Invader G3 to be straight forward and simple, and without too much effort. The ACU-52 rope cocking aid actually self-retracts into the stock, which is a great system as it means you are never looking for your rope cocking aid.
As anyone that has spent much time in the field can attest to, there is rarely a time when you will lose your rope cocker that will be convenient!
The ACU-52 cuts felt draw weight by 50%, meaning that you will only be pulling up with about 82 lbs of force. Given the 13.5” draw length, we didn’t find any difficulty cocking the Invader G3 when using a quick smooth pull.
- A Ten point 3X Multi- line scope – The Invader G3 is reasonably quiet, especially for a crossbow with a realistic price point for most budgets. There is no integrated suppression system, so looking into a set of string stops wouldn’t be a bad idea if you plan to hunt with it, especially given that Ten Point offers a set to fit the Invader G3 that is not very expensive at all.
Also, adding limb and frame suppressors will further cut the sound. As always, if you add suppressors, we recommend that you don’t overlook the stirrup, as much of the sound and vibrations end up focused on the furthest point forward of the crossbow.
- A wicked Ridge instant release quiver – The Wicked Ridge Invader G3 is a very capable hunting tool. Given its moderate price point, one might expect to have to give up a lot of the features that have made Ten Point’s line of crossbows such desirable weapons, but we really did not see that.
- Sharp trigger release – The trigger has a sharp 3.5 lb. release and is the same T2 trigger found on many more expensive crossbows. The crisp release allows for accurate shot placement time after time, and the ergonomic design of the safety ensures you can stay on target as you release the safety.
- Three Wicked Ridge 20” carbon crossbow arrows – Ten Point has brought a crossbow to market that offers plenty of power to take animals up to the size of deer with ease. The 400-grain projectiles being launched at 330 FPS results in a whopping 96 FPKE at the muzzle. This translates to almost 85 – 90 FPKE at realistic hunting ranges, certainly enough to get the job done in a real world setting.
One more feature includes the camo stock which is worth it for that price.
The good news is that crossbow is silent, thanks to dampening device. However, the safety will create an audible click which might not be convenient in some situations.
- Excalibur crossbow
- Crossbow kit
- Matrix 355 3500 Realtree camo w/tact-zone
- 355 FPS velocity
- 240 pound draw weight
Sometimes you need a bow that is incredibly fast and powerful when you are hunting large game, and the Excalibur crossbow might be just what you are looking for. It features a sturdy construction that is well balanced and its smooth performance ensures accurate shots. It should be noted that this recurve bow is designed for experienced hunters, and its powerful design might be more than novice archers can safely handle.
The Excalibur Matrix 355 Crossbow will propel an arrow at 380 fps, which is fps faster than the average recurve crossbow. With the ability to produce 112.3 foot-pounds of kinetic energy, the Excalibur Matrix 380 Crossbow is significantly more powerful than other recurve crossbows except the Excalibur Matrix Mega 405. This crossbow has a draw weight of 260 pounds, meaning that it requires that much force to load. By comparison, the average recurve crossbow has a draw weight of 177 pounds.
Features of the Excalibur Matrix 355 Crossbow
This x-bow is a true monster, in every sense of the word, and that includes cocking it. To get the 380 fps out of this recurve crossbow, Excalibur had to develop a crossbow with 260 worth of draw weight across a nearly 13.1” power stroke. That means cocking this crossbow, even with the included rope cocking device, will take some strength, stamina, and supreme focus.
- Twilight DLX scope – The scope comes almost sighted in out of the box, requiring just a few minor adjustments to turn this powerful crossbow into a powerful tack driver. From 20 yards, I could maintain 1/4″ groupings, and walking back to 50 yards only resulted in my groupings growing to 1” in diameter. This crossbow is insanely powerful and accurate.
- 4 Diablo Arrows – Excalibur ships this crossbow with 4 Diablo arrows, which are some of the best I’ve seen in the industry. These arrows are carbon and come with 150-grain field tips. They fly straight and true and are highly durable. If you decide to buy extra arrows, be advised that Excalibur crossbows do not use nocks; instead, they have threaded inserts for use with Excalibur’s T-handle arrow puller. The arrows need to be 18” long and at least 350 grain.
- 4 Arrow quiver – Due to the number of arrows, the Barnett has detachable quiver for the arrows, making it flexible for usage.
- 4 150 gram field points – Keep in mind that Excalibur recommends a 150-grain tip, so the shorter the arrow, the easier it is going to be to get to that magic 350-grain total weight to break the 300 fps barrier.
- Integrated Recoil Energy Dissipation System (R.E.D.S) – There is the integrated R.E.D.S. (Recoil Energy Dissipation System) string suppressors do a fantastic job of reducing the vibration, shock, and noise of the crossbow for almost silent, comfortable shooting.
What is a crossbow?
The crossbow is a modern form of your bow and arrow and its invention dates as far back as the year 6 BC where it was put to use as weapon during wars.
There is a bow affixed to the mount of the crossbow and this is known as the stock. This makes it possible for the crossbow to remain loaded even when it’s not in use.
You can check the Brief History of Crossbows in Pop Culture.
Projectiles known as bolts or quarrels are shot out of the crossbow. The projectiles are shorter than the traditional arrows.
Depending on what you intend to use the bolts for, you can choose from different weights available. The quarrels and bolts are usually stamped to ensure that the weight is consistent to give you accuracy and highly predictable action when you fire the weapon.
How does the crossbow work?
Special bullets or rocks can be held with modified crossbows. There is a mechanism for firing the crossbow which entails pulling back the lever while the bow is fixed and set for firing. As you release the lever, the projectile is fired. The crossbow has more accuracy when compare to the traditional bow and arrows. It also covers a wider range of about 360 meters.
What to look for in a crossbow
You should take time to find the best crossbow before your buy one. But what do you look for in a good crossbow for hunting?
Best Crossbow for hunting.
- Anti-Dry Fire Device and auto safety engage – Safety is the most important part of any weapon and an anti-dry fire device will prevent you from inflicting self-injury by accident when you dry-fire the crossbow. Do not buy a crossbow it does not have this feature.
- Riser Material- The material of the riser should be made from aluminum for sturdiness and quality.
- Trigger System – This should be made from metal and should have no travel. The trigger pull should not be more than 4lb while the retention spring should be nylon and not metal as this will easily bend.
- Quality Limbs –The limbs should be of high quality and warrantied for life.
- Size and Weight – Smaller crossbows are easier to handle, therefore, they should be compact and the length should not be longer than 36 inches and wider than 26 inches. The weight of an ideal crossbow should also not be more than 8lbs.
- Scope design – The scope should be water-proof, fog-proof and shock-proof. It should also be multi-reticle for better focus.
- The bolts – For good kinetic energy, the bolts should not beless than 20 inchesor less than 425 grains.
- Speed – The speed should be more than 320 with a 20-inch 425-grain arrow.
- Comfort – The crossbow should be comfortable to hold up in your hands, with a nice feel for balance and a forearm designed with safety against injury to fingers.
- Noise – The crossbow needs to be quiet as this is important for firing silently at your target without startling it.
- The Cocker tool – This should be detachable with the option of using the crank or cocker tool. If it so happens that your cocker breaks for any reason, you can easily replace it with a crank. Although the crank is louder than the rope cocker, it is a good option for those who find it difficult to draw back the crossbow with a rope cocker.
- Availability of parts – An ideal crossbow should have replaceable parts in case you need to replace any of the parts. If a part is not readily available, it means you can no longer use the crossbow and would have to look for a replacement. But if you have replacement option, all you have to do is get a replacement for the damaged part and your crossbow is back for use.
- Warranty for the crossbow – There should be warranty for life on all the parts with the exception of the strings and cables which should be changed after every 500 shots.
- Price of the crossbow – A crossbow should be reasonable priced with all the essential safety features, such that it should serve the need of a large number of customers.
Crossbows – Understanding The Different Types
Crossbows are stock-mounted bows that shoot bolts and primarily used for hunting and target shooting. If you are interested in either field, the first thing you should do is to determine the most suitable type of crossbow for your needs and abilities.
These have longer draw length compared to ordinary cross bows, which provide reduced hand shock and better acceleration. Using recurved crossbows, however, also produce greater strain on the bow structure itself.
Recurve crossbows are often used by advanced archers, shooters, and hunters. They are also noisy to use and thus require the accompanying use of a bowstring silencer.
There are several variants to a compound crossbow, but all of them basically work the same way. The string of a compound crossbow is attached to a number of pulleys, and which one or several of it are connected by cables to the opposite limb. Upon preparing to take a shot, the string will naturally draw back, which makes the pulleys turn and the cables to move accordingly. The limbs will then bend, thus storing energy for the shot.
These crossbows are characterized by limbs that are stiffer than usual and require greater pressure from the users because of the design. Their structure, however, allows compound crossbows to become more energy efficient than other types of crossbows.
Pistol crossbows are named so because of their relatively compact size. There are 80lb and 150lb pistol crossbows and other variants.
These are crossbows primarily designed to provide better aim, just like how rifles perform compared to other guns. Rifle crossbows are one of the most advanced models you can use. A 150lb rifle crossbow, for instance, can come with adjustable sights, foot pull, and heavy-duty fiber construction. It can hit your target as far as 250 feet away. Of course, such power also requires you to possess equivalent strength to launch your shot and cock your bow effectively.
This type of crossbow is also aptly named because it shoots bullet-looking projectiles made of stone, lead, or clay. Some bullet crossbows come with a string slot and barrel while others have a double string design.
If you want a shortcut to the entire process of shooting then you should make use of a repeating crossbow. With this type, you only have to make a single movement and everything, from bow stringing, projectile launching, and shooting, will be completed. This way, you’ll be able to shoot at a faster rate than usual.
As crossbows vary according to the amount of energy required from the user, size, acceleration system, and degree of automation, make sure that your choice satisfy your needs in all aspects.
How Powerful is a Crossbow???
Now you have all the details you need that will help you get the right crossbow for the next hunting season. Go ahead and buy the best hunting crossbow of your choice today!
- What is the excellent crossbow to look out for in 2020?
- Barnett Whitetail Pro – Fastest Crossbow
- Barnett 78128 –Lightweight and Fast Crossbow
- Excalibur Matrix Grizzly – Affordable crossbow
- Barnett Recruit Tactical – Lightweight Affordable Crossbow
- Barnett Recruit Terrain – The brilliant beginner’s crossbow
- Jaguar CR-013 Series– Affordable crossbow (Under $200)
- CenterPoint Sniper 370 – Great value for your Money
- CenterPoint Tormentor – Cheapest Crossbow Under $500
- Wicked Ridge by Ten Point Invader – intelligent crossbow for the money
- Excalibur Matrix 355 Crossbow – First-rate Crossbow Pack
- Superb Crossbow Buyer’s Guide