These days buying a sewing machine is definitely daunting. Modern sewing machines often seem more like computers than they do sewing machines. The number of built in stitches and patterns sometimes seems overwhelming.
We know something about sewing machines and we have set up this site to take the important bits, the bits you need to know and present them in as clear a way as possible. We have also thrown out the stuff about new sewing machines that in most cases (we can’t promise every case) don’t matter a great deal
We provide a detailed examination of the factors that contribute towards the incredible sewing machine. However, for those more interested in which sewing machines we would recommend then the table below should give you an early heads up. For those interested in the individual sewing machines reviews then please scroll on down, there is plenty of great information to help you make the best decision for you.
|Brother XL2600i||+||Check Price
|Singer 7258||+||Check Price
|Janome Magnolia 7318||+||Check Price
|Janome HD1000||+||Check Price
|Michley LSS-505||-||Check Price
|Singer Pixie-Plus||+||Check Price
|Janome 11706||-||Check Price
- 60 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother CS6000i includes 60 built-in...
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing and...
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The CS6000i includes a hard protective case,...
- LCD SCREEN: Easily select your stitches with the touch of a button and...
- 25 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: The CS6000i is backed by a 25 year limited...
The Brother CS6000i sewing machine is great combination of a feature packed machine combined with an affordable price which makes it a great choice and our Best Buy sewing machine. It’s a lightweight portable sewing machine with all the sewing accessories able to be stored in the compartment arm. At the same time it manages to incorporate a wide range of built-in stitches and styles of button holes. The Brother CS6000i sewing machine is great for beginner and expert user alike. It retails on Amazon at a great price.
Features of the Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine
The Brother CS6000i sewing machine is packed with features. At the price these features really set this sewing machine apart from the competition.
- Use of a digital to display to select any one of 60 different stitching styles.
- 7 different styles of buttonholes from which to choose.
- A built in automatic needle threading capability utilized by a simple press of a button.
- A table extension facility to provide you with additional space should your project require it.
- Your working area is lit up making accuracy a great deal easier, especially when using darker fabrics.
- Ability to vary the speed of stitching by use of a simple speed slide. You can sew very easily at whatever speed you are most comfortable with.
- You also get a built in “free arm” which means that the dewing of cuffs and hems on kids clothing is no longer a problem.
If you are interested in quilting and would like to know the unbelievable sewing machine for quilting then the Brother CS6000i is a strong contender.
In order to be an effective sewing machine for quilting the key elements are having a heavy machine that does not move around easily and having a large working area with a long arm.
Specialist industrial size sewing machines for quilting are very expensive, however for a home environment the built in oversize table in the Brother CS6000i allows you to move your quilt around easily and ensures that you have no difficulty with the correct placement of your quilting stitching.
You’ll be able to make some lovely quilts for you home on this sewing machine at a fraction of the cost of a commercial quilting sewing machine without sacrificing any quality.
Advantages of the Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine
There is no doubt that the Brother CS6000i sewing machine has some significant advantages over it’s competitors. This feature packed machine is guaranteed to be on almost everyone’s short list when looking trying to decide what is the improbable sewing machine for them.
- Ease of Use. The Brother CS6000i sewing machine is very easy to use right out of the box. Feature packed sewing machines can be a little daunting, especially for the beginner, but the clear instructions and the easy to read visual instructions handily printed on the machine itself make set up and use within everyone’s reach. If you are worried about getting started, then the Brother CS6000i is best sewing machine to start with.
- Affordable Price Point. The level of features available in the Brother CS6000i sewing machine would warrant a much higher price. But, for this sewing machine the retail price is well under $160 (prices do vary from time to time).
- Portability. No-one wants your sewing machine to be constantly in the way in your home. The lightweight construction of the Brother CS6000i sewing machine together with the self contained storage makes this a great sewing machine for the home. Easy to take out and set up and easy to put away again. This is a great sewing machine for the home environment.
While the Brother CS6000i is undoubtedly the fabulous sewing machine on the market, due to its wide range of features at a very affordable price it is not without some issues.
The main issue is the use of a lightweight plastic casing which is sometimes prone to moving when working on heavier fabrics. The theme of struggling slightly with heavier fabrics is continued, as issues can be experienced with the sewer having difficulty stitching thick fabrics, for example leather or canvas material.
If you are likely to be needing a sewing machine for these types of fabric then there are other more suitable sewing machines available.
The Brother CS6000i Conclusion
The Brother CS6000i sewing machine is our best home sewing machine selection and definitely the wonderful sewing machine for beginners.
It is probably not ideal in a heavy duty semi-commercial environment, but then this is not what the Brother CS6000i sewing machine was intended for. If you are a home sewing enthusiast then the Brother CS6000i sewing machine is an ideal choice for you.
- 27 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The XM2701 includes 27 built-in stitches...
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing machine...
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The XM2701 comes with 6 sewing feet, 3-piece...
- VERSATILE FREE ARM: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide...
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The XM2701 sewing machine comes with Brother At...
Just as long as you’re not emulating Scarlet O’Hara—she converted her heavy, velvet brocade drapes into an evening gown to impress Rhett Butler in the film “Gone with the Wind”–the Brother XL2600i sewing machine should make a nice addition to your clothing repair and construction equipment library. Fancied by beginners who prefer not to sink lots of cash into this purchase, this 26-Stitch, Free-Arm model can wrangle your quilting, sewing and decorative stitching projects nicely– just as long as you avoid thick textiles. Keep reading to see what’s in store for you if you decide to buy the Brother XL2600i.
Features of the Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine
A Stitch in Time Saves Nine
If you’re a by-the-numbers crafter, prepare to be delighted: the Brother XL2600i offer 26 built-in stitches and 59 stitch functions. Adjust width and length to suit your fancy, stitch forward and reverse, make the most of the cleverly-engineered free arm/flatbed feature, built-in thread cutter and built-in accessory storage.
It’s what’s inside that counts
For a lightweight machine that’s affordably priced, XL-2600i machine specs are impressive. Stitch length, width, needle position, tension control and presser foot functions please sewing pros and beginners alike, yet this 11-pound machine comes with an impressive 25 year limited warranty from Brother. Accessories include a darning plate, foot control, bobbins, needles and the ubiquitous screw driver. A one-step buttonholer makes quick work of this task and if you find needle threading tedious, the automatic needle thread function could trigger tears of joy.
It quilts, too…
The Brother XL2600i is designed to do more than stitch clothing, curtains and craft projects. Decorative and heirloom stitches preferred by machine quilters are pre-programmed and there’s a multiplicity of stitch choices that allow you to get as creative as you like. If you’re in a quilting group or circle, schlep your machine and your supplies to your next meet-up without building arm muscles or requiring a Sherpa.
The Brother XL2600i Conclusion
As long as you’ve got the patience to plow through a problematic instruction manual—or better yet, have access to someone who knows the ropes when it comes to sewing—even beginners can enjoy using this lithe, practical, affordable machine.
We like this sewing machine due to it’s versatility, the fact that it’s packed with features and the price. We’ve checked out the prices online and we believe the best place to pick up the delightful Brother XL2600i sewing machine is from Amazon.
- PUSH BUTTON STITCH SELECTION: The SINGER Stylist 7258 sewing machine...
- WARRANTY: SINGER Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine has 25 Year Limited...
- This sewing machine is warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110...
The Singer 7258 Sewing Machine – Sit and Sew for Beginners
With the Singer 7258 sewing machine, beginners can sit down and start to sew. This machine has an automatic needle threader and the machine is well lit in all the right places, thanks to LED lights and displays. An online instruction manual, included, makes it easy for beginners to start their first sewing projects. This award winning machine turns beginner’s sewing work into professional looking pieces with the help of the push button selection of stitches located on the front of the machine. If users are proficient with computers the Singer 7258 sewing machine will pose no problems.
Features of the Singer 7258 Sewing Machine
The Singer 7258 sewing machine gets rave reviews from beginners and experienced users. The features offered by the Singer 7258 Sewing Machine are substantially hi-tech. For example:
- 100 stitches
- Automatic tension
- Drop in bobbin on the top of the machine
- Programmable needle
- Buttonholes in seven styles
Tackle Bigger Sewing Projects with the Singer 7258 Sewing Machine
The Singer 7258 Stylist sewing machine is a good trade in for older, less computerized machines. With this machine, it’s possible to do monogramming, embroidering, quilting and arts and crafts projects that turn out with a professional look every time. One feature that experienced users find convenient is the push button control or the included standard foot control. The push button control is perfect for quilting and more complex sewing tasks. Complex hemming projects from rolled hems to blind hemming are simple and quick with the hem foot. There are several sewing feet included:
- Embroidery foot
- Overcasting foot
- Satin Stitch foot
- Gathering, darning and buttonhole feet
The Singer 7258 Sewing Machine – The Total Machine
With all of the features included in this machine, the accessories are an added convenience. Extra bobbins, spool caps for threads and extra needles are some of these accessories. Sewing machine users find that the Singer 7258 Sewing Machine is a total machine that caters to nearly every sewing need and more. With 100 stitches, users can choose from standard basting stitches, heirloom or decorative. Creating tailored apparel is no longer limited to professional sewing machine users. This machine has a durable frame of metal and yet, weighs just under 15 pounds. For arts and crafts group sewing projects the light weight and 14.5 x 7.5 x 12 inch dimensions make it highly mobile. The metal frame adds enough weight to make the machine fully stable while in use.
The Singer 7258 Sewing Machine Works Well With All Fabrics
The beauty of the Singer 7258 sewing machine is that it can handle many fabric weights like stretch, satin, denim and upholstery fabrics. It is perfect for double knit, fleece and even tricot. This is due to the precision of the automatic tensions. With this machine, there are no more loose or too tight stitches.
The Singer 7258 Sewing Machine Conclusion
The Singer 7258 Sewing Machine is one of the most popular sewing machines available. It is available on Amazon with an excellent review score of 4.4 from well over 1,500 reviews. Priced at under $200 the Singer 7258 is also very affordable. Well worth a look for beginner and experienced user alike.
Fantastic Sewing Machine for Beginners Comparison Table
In establishing what our pick for the astonishing sewing machine for a beginner was we had to look at a number of different factors from our evaluation of what was the overall best machine for sewing. A beginner is likely to have less experience in setting the machine up and will have fewer, less complex projects under their belt than the more experienced operator.
We also felt that someone who was looking for a beginner sewing machine would be more cost conscious for fear of spending a lot on an expensive machine only to discover that sewing wasn’t really for them after all.
With that in mind we present our table of the top 3 astounding sewing machines for beginners.
- Bonus Bundle Includes: Janome Muffling Mat, 10 Plastic Janome...
- The Janome Magnolia 7318 sewing machine comes with features you need...
- On the Janome Magnolia 7318 you can choose from 18 stitches.
- The Janome 7318 Magnolia also includes the 4 step buttonhole with...
- You get the best quality with a Janome Magnolia 7318 sewing machine...
A fact that is perhaps not that well known is that the largest sewing machine manufacturer in the world is not Singer, or Brother; but is in fact Janome. Janome makes a wide variety of beginner sewing machines that are in fact sold by other companies. It is perhaps not that surprising therefore that our pick of the top rated sewing machine for beginners is the Janome Magnolia 7318.
Janome sewing machines are built for sewing machine users from beginner to advanced levels. The big surprise is that Janome offers sewing machines that are top of the line at truly reasonable prices. For users, the important feature of a Janome Sewing machine is the finished product. The Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine is one of the most popular of Janome’s machines.
The Features Users Want Most in the Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine
The features of the Janome Magnolia 7318 sewing machine include:
- 18 stitches
- Top loading, drop in bobbin
- Step by step buttonhole feature
- Precision balance adjuster for specialty fabrics
- Stitch length control
- Zig zag width control
- Handy thread cutter
- Convertible free arm
- Convenient bobbin winder stopper
- Free bonus pack with a 10-pack of bobbins and a 1/4″ seam foot
The Janome Magnolia 7318 – Many Uses for Sewing Projects
The Janome Magnolia 7318 weighs only 20 lbs. and is built for portability. Take it along for sewing crafts with the local crafts group or to school for student’s projects. This machine can handle various fabric weights from delicate chiffon to denim with ease. It’s especially great for tailoring and creating apparel.
More Features of the Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine
With all of the most desirable features the Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine offers, it seems incredible that this machine comes with additional features. These include:
- An adjustable blind hem foot/
- A zipper foot
- Spool holder
- Needle threader
- An extra set of needles
- A seam ripper
- Satin stitch foot
- Foot controller
Another feature of the Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine given accolades by reviewers is the handy instruction book. Reviewers praised its easy to follow set of instructions and the clear-cut writing style.
Some reviewers in different reviews claimed this machine is ideal for advanced users who need a second machine that can be used to complete complex sewing projects. In these reviews, the Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine was described as durable, reliable and with a “perfect design” at an attractive price.
The Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine Conclusion
The Janome Magnolia 7318 is a lovely quality machine that gives you a smooth and controlled sewing experience. Something that is often only achieved by sewing machines that are considerably more expensive, and sometimes not even then. The feed dogs encourage the user as the fabric feels as though it is being drawn through the sewing area at a comfortable speed.
Perhaps the only drawback and it is worth mentioning is that the list price of this machine is around the $300 mark. However, before making our recommendation we gave the matter a great deal of thought. It is our view that for someone with a lack of sewing experience there are few sewing machines on the market that will give that person as much confidence and control as the Magnolia 7318. Not only that but the machine is available on Amazon at a substantial discount to the list price.
All in all, we believe that the Janome Magnolia 7318 is the extraordinary sewing machine for beginners.
- 14 Built-In Stitches including Utility Stitches, Stretch Stitches and...
- The Janome HD1000's Body is Made of Cast Aluminum and Like the Metal...
- Comes with A Bunch of Different Accessories Including - Bobbins, Felt,...
- The HD1000 Has A Free Arm For Sewing Pants, Cuffs and Collars and Drop...
- Bonus Package Includes: Janome Ultra Glide Foot, 10 Bobbins, Schmetz...
A heavy-duty sewing machine is the solution to many common home sewing problems. Most standard machines will have a tough time hemming jeans or reattaching a strap on a child’s backpack. Thread jamming, broken needles and even burnt out motors can result. These tasks require a heavy duty sewing machine.
The Janome HD1000 is a hard-working, no-frills machine for the home sewer who wants to work with multiple layers of dense and tightly woven fabrics such as denim, canvas or leather. An excellent machine for both beginning and experienced sewers, the HD1000 controls are simple, easy to read and intuitive. Made to last, with a body of cast aluminum, it will continue to deliver great sewing performance for years.
Features and Accessories of the Janome HD1000 Sewing Machine
This free arm machine from Janome has 14 built-in stitches for straight, stretch and zigzag sewing, as well as a four-step straight buttonhole stitch. Select stitch types and length with clearly-labeled dials and a stitch chart printed on the machine. Maximum stitch width is 5 mm and maximum length is 4 mm. While this machine does not have many decorative stitches, it can handle all types of utility stitching for virtually any fabric.
A storage tray in the free arm of the machine is a convenient place for extra needles and other necessities, which are included with the HD1000:
- Four bobbins
- General purpose foot
- Buttonhole foot
- Hemmer foot
- Hem guide
- Zipper foot
- Foot pedal
- Instruction book
- Five needles, various sizes
- Two screwdrivers, large and small
- Seam ripper
- Dust cover
- Felt thread washers
Advantages of the Janome HD1000 Sewing Machine
- It is worth emphasizing at this point that the Janome HD1000 sewing machine is mechanical rather than electronic; this means you can start sewing immediately.
- The reverse control is a large lever, rather than a small button as on many other machines.
- A drop feed allows darning or sewing on buttons and other free motion stitching.
- One-hand needle threading and push-pull bobbin winding save time, effort and eye-strain.
- A sturdy built-in handle makes it easy to carry this Janome from one room to another.
- Presser feet snap on, so changing them is quick and easy.
- A convenient thread cutter is positioned to the immediate left of the needle bar.
The Janome HD1000 Sewing Machine Conclusion
With a list price of just under $400, the Janome HD1000 is not the least expensive machine on the market. We have however found it on Amazon for up to 25% less than the list price.
If you are looking for a sturdy metal machine that gives you a confident sewing experience without overwhelming you with buttons and dials and LCD displays the HD1000 is a great choice.
Its durable construction and sewing versatility more than justify the price. The home sewer looking for sturdiness,reliability and ease of operation will be well rewarded for the investment. As a result, although we perhaps like the Magnolia 7318 a little more, the Janome HD1000 is a strong candidate for being the pretty beginner sewing machine on the market today.
- 8 Built-in Stitch Patterns.Automatic Thread Rewind
- 2 Speed settings.Forward & Reverse Sewing
- Double Thread
- Troubleshooting steps are present on the 2nd page of the quick start...
- Multi-purpose sewing machine with 8 built-in stitch patterns
There’s always that moment when sewing machine users want a machine that’s ready to use for household, crafts and quick fix projects. The Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose sewing machine earned a reputation as an all purpose machine that satisfies a multitude of sewing needs. The Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose sewing machine is convenient and handy. This is a truly portable sewing machine which is why we have included in it in the category of excellent portable machines.
Features of the Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine
There are several features of this machine that customers mention in their reviews. These include:
- Easy to use needle threading
- Eight stitch patterns that are built in
- Forward and reverse sewing operation
- Automatic thread rewinder
- LED light
- Convenient stitch display
The Michley LSS-505 Lil Sew & Sew Accessories
The Michley LSS-505 Lil Sew & Sew also includes additional accessories:
- Needle threader
- Two thread spools
- Foot pedal
- An AC adaptor
- Extra needle
Advantages of the Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine
Customer who have reviewed it on Amazon have given it five stars for its light weight and smaller design. The Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose sewing machine is ideal for less complex projects and for crafting. With eight stitches, it is handy for simple hemming, clothing repairs or straight stitching for items like pillow cases and tea towels. Since this machine is intended for simpler projects, it works well on light weight fabrics and can be used to sew clothing from patterns. It’s an ideal machine for beginners to start their first sewing projects.
More advanced users love this machine and in customer reviews claim it operates nearly as well as heavy duty sewing machine. Another much appreciated feature is the sturdy metal parts, including bobbins. For zig zag stitching, this machine offers narrow, medium wide and extra wide zig zag options. The thread spooler is located neatly in a niche on the front of the machine. The easy drop in bobbin is great for beginners unsure of how to load a bobbin.
The Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine Conclusion
The Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose sewing machine is “Grab and Sew” machine that offers double speed and also double threading. Crafters love these features for their group projects. The Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose sewing machine is handy for users who need a second light duty machine for quick work.
This machine is a great gift for sewing machine users and crafters. At 10-4/5″ by 4-4/5″ by 10-1/5″ and under five pounds in weight, this is the perfect starter or second machine. All in all it is a strong contender for the title of best portable sewing machine
- Crafting machine with four stitches
- Included accessories
- Sew with either AC power or batteries
- Sews monofilament
- Weighs 5 pounds; measures 11 by 5 by 10-1/2 inches. 110 volt machine...
When you need a small and portable sewing machine to tackle simple projects, you might want to turn to the trusted name of Singer. Their Pixie-Plus Craft Machine weighs in at just over four pounds but can manage eight different stitch types.
This lightweight craft machine is small enough that you can take it with you wherever you go, making it easy for you to pack up even for trips. It can handle various kinds of basic sewing, from creative craft projects to hemming and mending.
Easy to thread, with a small foot pedal and with a bobbin winder that doesn’t take an engineering degree to figure out, both the size and simplicity of this machine could make it a good first choice if you’re hoping to introduce a child or other beginning sewer to the ins and outs of real machine sewing.
Main Features and Accessories Singer Pixie-Plus Craft Machine
Here are some of the basic things you’ll get with the Pixie-Plus Craft Machine:
- A bobbin you drop-in
- Rear-attached foot pedal
- Two speeds
- Small storage drawer
- Several spools of thread
- Several metal bobbins
- Eight stitches and a dial to select stitches
- Additional accessories including buttons, tape measure, small scissors
- Extra machine needle
- Owners’ manual
Advantages of the Singer Pixie-Plus Craft Machine
Besides its size and portability, the Pixie-Plus has the advantage of running either on AC power or batteries. It’s a 110 volt machine, so for its size packs a fair amount of power, though you might want to be cautious using heavy-duty materials.
The machine makes nice, even stitches which are generously sized, making them ideal for craft projects. Although veteran sewers might be nonplussed at the inability to adjust stitch size, young crafters will find the stitch selection dial very easy to use.
The price is another advantage. For what the Pixie can do, it’s quite affordable, leaving you enough in your budget to save for a larger, full-service machine.
The Singer Pixie-Plus Craft Machine Conclusion
Most portable sewing machines are not completely fully featured, and often the features among differing machines do not always allow direct comparisons. However while you shouldn’t expect this cute little machine to handle your major sewing projects, you’ll enjoy it for what it can do. Quick repair jobs, hems, fun craft projects, and beginning sewing lessons can all be tackled with ease when you’re using the portable Pixie-Plus craft machine by Singer.
- Portable, Compact Sewing Machine Perfect for beginners, alterations...
- 10 Built-In Stitches including straight, zigzag, crescent with two...
- Free Arm, Accessory Storage, Easy Reverse and only five pounds
- Threading Diagrams & Top Drop-In Bobbin with clear cover makes for...
- Presser Foot with Finger Guard protects little fingers
The Janome 11706 3/4 Size Hello Kitty Sewing Machine is the perfect answer for anyone wanting to do high-quality sewing on a machine while celebrating their love for Hello Kitty. Don’t make the mistake of assuming that there’s a sacrifice on the quality for the sake of its unique exterior – Janome is a first-rate sewing machine brand and this product lives up to its reputation. Here are some of the cool features you can expect from this Hello Kitty Sewing Machine.
Key Features of the Janome 11706 3/4 Size Hello Kitty Sewing Machine
Here are some of the basic things you’ll get with the Pixie-Plus Craft Machine:
- Eleven titches and a four-step buttonhole – This machine can perform an impressive 11 different stitches, so you’ll have a lot of variety in your sewing projects. These stitches include 2 stretch stickes, as well as a 1 and 4 step buttonholes.
- Snap on Presser Feet – Three Feet included – Presser feet aren’t just needless accessories for your sewing machine; they can help make difficult sewing projects much easier by using the right one. This machine comes with three different, easily snapped on presser feet
- Easy Tension Control Dial – If you understand how to use proper thread tension while sewing, then you have the benefit of using the tension control dial. If you’re a beginner then the good news is that you don’t even need to fuss with the tension dial at all.
- Reverse Lever – This feature makes it easy to “lock in” the beginning and ending of seams. By pressing the reverse lever your Hello Kitty sewing machine will start sewing backwards, so you can go over your stitch a few times before moving on.
Advantages of the Janome 11706 3/4 Size Hello Kitty Sewing Machine
- Portability – This sewing machine has the added benefit of being portable, so you can easily move it between rooms, or take it to your sewing class or over to a friends house.
- Accessory storage – The built-in accessory storage is great because you can keep the necessities you need on the machine itself. So no matter where you go, you know you’ll have everything you need.
- Free Arm – Being a free arm sewing machine, this makes storage a lot easier as well as working on curved pieces such as cuffs, collars, or small projects in general.
The Janome 11706 3/4 Size Hello Kitty Sewing Machine Review Conclusion
As you can see, this sewing machine has a lot of heavy duty sewing capability, all wrapped up in an adorable Hello Kitty exterior. If you know any crafty Hello Kitty fans, then this would be the perfect gift, no matter what their skill level.
In essence, a sewing machine is simply
a shaft with a needle attached to it that is able to rise and fall due to the action of a small motor. On a typical sewing machine the needle is threaded with two threads; one is on the top of the machine with the thread actually threaded through the needle itself; the other is a smaller spool of thread which is positioned underneath the needle. During use the needle passes through the fabric, catches the thread on the smaller spool or bobbin, and pulls the thread back through the fabric to form a strong stitch.
The whole motor and column containing the needle are encased in order to house these items safely and to provide a flat working area over which the fabric passes.
Modern machines have a number of different stitches programmed into them. The basic stitch and one which is perhaps the most frequently used is called the straight stitch. This is useful for many different but straightforward tasks. Straight seams, topstitching and basting are all examples where a straight stitch would be used.
After the straight stitch the zigzag stitch is perhaps the most commonly used. The zigzag stitch is considered to have greater strength and a little bit more stretch in it and is often used to neatly sew the raw edges of seams to prevent fraying in the future.
As previously mentioned modern sewing machines almost all incorporate a large number of specialist and decorative stitches. For someone who is an enthusiastic craft sewer these stitches can be a huge time saver, however it should be said that the vast majority of sewing machine users will never actually use many of these stitches in a real life project, ever.
If you are a quilter or enjoy embroidering, then having a sewing machine that produces these decorative stitches would be great. If however you are a beginner and just looking for the best sewing machine to get started with then don’t worry about all these stitches. You really just need a good quality machine that is easy to set up has a large bright working area and stitches straight and true.
We’d also like to offer to your consideration our review on knitting machines; dressmakers fond of creating their own pieces of garments may want to try something new.
Key Sewing Machine Part Definitions
When reading up on the bewildering variety of sewing machines that are available to purchase these days some of the terminology used can be a little daunting. We assume that everyone knows what a bobbin, a needle and a sewing machine look like; instead we will provide a brief introduction to the parts of a sewing machine that you may not immediately understand or recognize.
- Well-known Sewing Machines Comparison Table
- Brother CS6000i – Amazing Sewing Machine Reviews
- Brother XL2600I Sewing Machine Review
- Singer 7258 Sewing Machine Review
- Fantastic Sewing Machine for Beginners Comparison Table
- Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine Review
- Janome HD1000 Sewing Machine Review
- Michley LSS-505 Lil’ Sew & Sew Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine Review
- Singer Pixie-Plus Craft Machine Review
- Janome 11706 3/4 Size Hello Kitty Sewing Machine Review
- How a Sewing Machine Works